John Strawbridge Guyton
John Strawbridge Guyton was born in 1842 in the Shiloh Community southwest of Sulligent. He served in the Civil War and was one of the early mayors of the town of Sulligent.
He was known as “Squire” Guyton. It is said that he owned land from Vernon Street in Sulligent to Gattman, MS at one time. He was also Justice of the Peace and performed many weddings. He prepared most of the deeds of the area after the Civil War, when flour sold for $300 a barrel and coffee was $20 a pound.
Taken from The Lamar News October 1, 1882. “ Miss Ellen Guyton, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John S. Guyton of Sulligent, died of fever Sunday night. She was 18 years old and a bright and intelligent young lady.”
Taken from The Lamar News October 22, 1885 . “We are pained to hear that an infant son of J. S. Guyton Esq. of Cansler was seriously burned by the over turning of a kettle of water on last Saturday.” Cansler was a small community about two miles south of where Sulligent is located today.
From The Eagle Eye November 30, 1895. “ Mr. J. S. Guyton, foreman and business manager of the gravel pit informs us that this enterprise is in a prosperous condition. They load from 50 - 75 cars daily, furnish employment to about 50 hands which would otherwise be idle. This gravel pit is worth a great deal to the community.” The Guytons were among the first members ot the Sulligent United Methodist Church. John S. “Squire “ Guyton died in 1917 and is buried in the Guyton Cemetery in Sulligent. Mrs. Peggy Hollis Adair contributed information for this article.
Email MS B
Return to Persons Index Page
Return Lamar County Kin