Prepared by Barbara Carruth on 01/30/2000I am posting what information I have on the Sandlin's at this time that I feel pretty good about. I am posting now so some of you with more information can help me to update. If you have additions or corrections, they are welcome. Email Ms B
Descendants of John Sandlin
Generation No. 1
1. JOHN1 SANDLIN was born Abt. 1700 in Goochland County VA, and died Unknown. He married FRANCES Unknown. She was born Unknown, and died Unknown.
Child of JOHN SANDLIN and FRANCES is:
2. i. RANDOLPH2 SANDLIN, b. Unknown, York, SC; d. Unknown.
Generation No. 2
2. RANDOLPH2 SANDLIN (JOHN1) was born Unknown in York, SC, and died Unknown. He married MOURNING GREEN. She was born Unknown, and died Unknown.
Notes for MOURNING GREEN:
Source: Gladys Turman. I saw something on the internet that there is doubt that Randloph's wife was Mourning Green? At this time I have no information. (Barbara Carruth 1-28-2000)
Child of RANDOLPH SANDLIN and MOURNING GREEN is:
Generation No. 3
3. LITTLETON3 SANDLIN (RANDOLPH2, JOHN1) was born Unknown, and died Unknown. He married SALLY KENNEDY Unknown, daughter of JAMES KENNEDY and ANN. She was born Unknown, and died Unknown.
Notes for LITTLETON SANDLIN:
Not sure about information on Littleton Sandlin born 1780. Source of information: Gladys Turman and posting of Joan Fowler Vitale on Genforum.
Notes for SALLY KENNEDY:
May be dispute about her name being Kennedy. Source of information, Gladys Turman and info posted on the internet by Joan Fowler Vitale.
Children of LITTLETON SANDLIN and SALLY KENNEDY are:
Generation No. 4
4. JESSIE LITTLETON4 SANDLIN (LITTLETON3, RANDOLPH2, JOHN1) was born December 06, 1801 in York County SC, and died May 13, 1863 in Buried in Sandlin Cemetery, Lamar County AL. He married MARY NABORS Unknown. She was born September 19, 1807 in SC, and died September 05, 1884 in Buried in Sandlin Cemetery, Lamar County AL.
Notes for JESSIE LITTLETON SANDLIN:
Listed in Marion County AL 1860 Census, Listed are Jesse Sandlin, age 55, Mary, age 54, Alfred, age 20, William, age 12, Henry, age 10. Also listed in this household are Sarah Franks, age 24 and John Franks, age 2. Jesse is not listed in the Marion County AL 1870 Census.
Notes for MARY NABORS:
Listed in Marion County 1870 Census, age 63. Looks like a South family was living with her. Listed in the Cenus as in her household was Ina S. South ,age 36, Nancy, age 25, Adeline, age 13, John, age 11.
Children of JESSIE SANDLIN and MARY NABORS are:
Generation No. 5
5. LITTLETON5 SANDLIN (JESSIE LITTLETON4, LITTLETON3, RANDOLPH2, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1829, and died Unknown. He married SARAH LOGGINS Unknown. She was born August 12, 1830 in ?, and died July 06, 1913 in Buried in Pine Springs Cemetery, Lamar County AL.
Notes for LITTLETON SANDLIN:
Listed Marion County AL 1860 Census. Not listed in 1870 Marion County Census. Assume that he is deceased? I am unsure of his birthdate.
Notes for SARAH LOGGINS:
Listed Marion County AL 1860 Census. Listed in Marion County 1870 Census. Birthdate and deathdate from tombstone.
Children of LITTLETON SANDLIN and SARAH LOGGINS are:
6. ANDERSON5 SANDLIN (JESSIE LITTLETON4, LITTLETON3, RANDOLPH2, JOHN1) was born 1833, and died Unknown in ?. He married CATHERINE TURMAN Unknown, daughter of MILTON TURMAN and ELEANOR ROBINSON. She was born May 15, 1823, and died November 27, 1903 in Buried Turman Cemetery in Lamar County AL.
Notes for ANDERSON SANDLIN:
Listed in Marion County, AL 1860 Census as head of household, age 27. Also listed for this household is Katherine, age 33, Elius, age 15, Gabrella, age 11, Louisiana, age 9. Also Mary Davis age 45, seamstress, is listed in this household. Unsure of the birthdate for Anderson. He was young to have fathered children. His age could have been listed wrong in the census or he was not the father of the older children?
Not listed in Marion County AL 1870 Census.
Notes for CATHERINE TURMAN:
Source Gladys Turman. Buried in the old family plot near the old Wilson Kennedy Turman Place. Her grave is the only marked grave or was the only one in the 70's. Name listed as Katherine in the 1860 Marion County Census. Listed in the 1860 Marion County Census, in household of Anderson Sanderson
Children of ANDERSON SANDLIN and CATHERINE TURMAN are:
7. SARAH J.5 SANDLIN (JESSIE LITTLETON4, LITTLETON3, RANDOLPH2, JOHN1)1 was born November 09, 18411, and died July 02, 19211. She married (1) WILLIAM TARENTINE CARDEN1, son of RANDOLPH CARDEN and ELIZABETH THOMPSON. He was born January 29, 1840 in Russell County AL1, and died December 17, 1919. She married (2) TURMAN1.
Notes for SARAH J. SANDLIN:
Was married to Milton A. Turman who was killed Civil War. Applied for pension on W. T. Carden who fought in Civil War. Personal property worth in 1920 $30.00. Applications states that W. T. Carden was visiting in Okla. at the time of his death, a few days before Christmas and expected to return to AL as soon as hollidays were over. But took ill and died on Dec. 27 1919. Application has also been found where W. T. Carden applied for a pension in 1893. Stated he was wounded in the head , hip and side.
Notes for WILLIAM TARENTINE CARDEN:
Following information on William T. taken from Marion County, Alabama Civil War Veterans written by: Dorothy Shores Stalcup " 1907 Post Office, Sulligent, Alabama; was born 29 Jan 1840 in the County of Russell in the State of alabama; first entered the service as Private in august 1861 at Montgomery, Alabama in Co. G 17 Alabama Infantry and continued until wounded at Shiloh Tennessee. Discharged at Corinth Mississippi in June 1863.
Address 1907 Post Office: Sulligent, Alabama, first entered service as Private in Aug 1861 at Montgomery, AL in Co. G 17th Alabama Infantry and continued until wounded at Shiloh Tennessee. Discharged at Corinth Mississippi in June 1863. Taken from Dorothy Shores Stalcup's book " Marion County Alabama Civil War Verterans, Confererate and Union ".
Notes for TURMAN:
Killed in Civil War. Son of Milton A. Turman
Children of SARAH SANDLIN and WILLIAM CARDEN are:
8. WILLIAM5 SANDLIN (JESSIE LITTLETON4, LITTLETON3, RANDOLPH2, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1849, and died Unknown. He married SIDNEY TURMAN Unknown. She was born Unknown, and died Unknown.
Child of WILLIAM SANDLIN and SIDNEY TURMAN is:
Generation No. 6
9. JOHN LOGGINS6 SANDLIN (LITTLETON5, JESSIE LITTLETON4, LITTLETON3, RANDOLPH2, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1858, and died Unknown. He married RACHEL CATHERINE EVANS December 01, 1878, daughter of RICHARD EVANS and NANCY NOE. She was born August 25, 1862 in Marion County AL, and died May 02, 1925 in OK.
Notes for JOHN LOGGINS SANDLIN:
Listed Marion County AL 1860 Census. Source of information on the children of John Loggins and Rachel Catherine Evans Sandlin is Lois Matuszak, granddaughter of John Loggins Sandlin. Listed in Marion County 1870 Census.
Children of JOHN SANDLIN and RACHEL EVANS are: